Thursday, November 18, 2010

a toasty little treat

Yesterday I decided that I needed a pick-me-up. It was cold and raining outside, so I put on the tea kettle and curled up on the couch. My family and I have recently moved back from Portugal after living there for three years. I was kind of down thinking about the balmy weather they are likely having, so I pulled out my photo album and started flipping through the pages. I stopped dead in my tracks when I came across the above photo. As I looked at it, I was reminded of the unmistakable smell of roasted chestnuts running through the streets of Lisbon. Vendors can easily be found around Portugal with their stacks of smoke, engulfing their surroundings with the aroma of these savory, smokey flavoured treats. I decided to bring a little bit of Portugal into my own kitchen. If you are looking for a unique treat for the winter months, give them a try. Just remember when you crack open one of these pleasantly warm nuts, you might not be able to stop at just one! They also go great with a nice glass of wine.

Roasted Chestnuts


  1. Preheat oven to 220 C (425 F).
  2. Find the flat side of each chestnut and cut a large X with a sharpe knife, ensuring to pierce the skin.
  3. Place chestnuts on a shallow baking pan and place in the oven to roast for 35 to 45 minutes depending on the size of nuts. Shake pan several times throughout the cooking process to make sure the nuts cook evenly. You can add salt if you would like. (I opted for no salt)
  4. Chestnuts are usually ready when the X has started to fold out. Peel roasted chestnuts once they are cool enough to handle.
*Note; Make sure an incision is made before roasting the chestnuts. If not, they may explode causing harm.


The finished product

No comments:

Post a Comment