Monday, December 6, 2010

a country christmas

Christmas is my favourite holiday. As a young child growing up in a small town, I have fond memories of the holiday season. There is something special about small town charm during the winter months. Whether it is the tight-knit community hosting special events, the beautifully decorated heritage homes and buildings, the quaint downtown or the pure ambiance. There are many things that come to mind when I think back to the holiday season growing up such as decorating the Christmas tree, skating on the rink built in our backyard, sipping hot cocoa by the fire on a cold winter night, singing Christmas carols, and of course baking Christmas goodies. I have so many fond memories and I can only hope I am able to create the same for my daughter. I believe I am off to a good start as we piled into the car this weekend and headed to a nearby small town to enjoy their Christmas festivities. Now it is beginning to feel a lot like Christmas...
Little Miss L. enjoyed Santa's workshop and all the wooden toys.
Little Miss L. would like to ask Santa for a wooden horse this year.
God-mommy, momma and Little Miss L. outside Santa's workshop.
Family photo in front of the town square.
I love how this mural maintains the small town culture and charm.
I have fallen in love! Love the red door and the skates!
Nothing says Christmas like loading up the tree to bring home.
This mill was built in 1811.
Brrr it is cold outside...
Horse and carriage ride through town.
Little Miss L. could not take her eyes off of these lovely fellows.
All bundled up!
The mill originally produced flour and grist, then later adapted to a feed mill.
Local carolers getting ready to perform in front of the mill.
Beautiful old church with such character.
Puppet show performed in the town hall.
                     Daddy and Little Miss L. favourite part of the day- the puppet show!



















No comments:

Post a Comment