Wednesday, July 6, 2011

children's table

After moving a few months ago, we are still in the process of unpacking and finding homes for our belongings. It is hard to believe how many things you accumulate over the years. It did not take long before we realized that we did not have the space for certain items or we had double of an item. As we looked around our garage we noticed that we had more than one computer table, what were we going to do with two computer tables? After thinking about it for sometime, I realized that I had been talking about getting a children's table for our playroom for several weeks. Children love having their own sized furniture where they can easily play, eat, read, and draw.

I had started my search at several of our local department stores but nothing was catching my eye. The tables were all smaller than I had hoped for and the prices seemed high, especially when I knew how this table would be treated. I wanted something that would allow more than 4 children to be seated at a time and would be economical. 

After several weeks it finally dawned on me, how about using one of our computer desks? Both the hubby and I had old Ikea desks that we had back in our university days. I knew we weren't going to use both of them in our home. We had the perfect spot for it in the corner of our basement, it was cost effective (free we already had it), it was a project we could complete in minutes (who doesn't like that?!?), and it would allow up to 8 children to sit comfortably.

The project was complete in no time flat. All we had to do were cut the legs of the table to a suitable height for the kiddies, and then I went to our local dollar store and purchased some inexpensive plastic chairs. I could not be happier with the results. Little Miss L. loves her new table and uses it all the time.

This is the perfect time of year if you are thinking about a similar project for your home. If you don't have an old table hanging around, then check out your local goodwill store, or what better time than to hit up a good garage sale find. Happy hunting, I know the kiddies won't be disappointed!

No comments:

Post a Comment