Friday, September 16, 2011

homemade salsa

You may remember this post from a few weeks ago about how I love love love salsa, especially homemade salsa - it just seems to taste better than the store-bought brands. I love the taste of fresh tomatoes from the garden. I love the feeling I get when I open a jar of homemade salsa in the middle of winter, it brings me back to the summer months. I was lucky that my good friend Jenn decided to come over and help me out because, let's face it - trying to get anything done while tending to a toddler and a newborn can sometimes be task in itself. I have had a few people ask me what recipe we used to make our homemade salsa. I would like to say that we followed one, but that was not the case. We kind of threw in a little of this and a little of that and hoped for the best. I was pretty happy with the end result, but it was a little on the sweet side. Next year, I think I will add a little more spice. What is your favourite salsa recipe?

I tried to remember exactly what we did but my life is kind of a blur lately. It went something like this...
Ingredients:

  • 60 Roma tomatoes, peeled 
  • 2 large red peppers
  • 2 large green peppers
  • 5 large onions
  • 3 heads of garlic
  • 2 large cans of tomato paste
  • 5 Jalapeno peppers
  • 1/2 cup sugar
  • 2 cups vinegar
  • 8 teaspoons of sea salt
Directions:
  • Blend - or if you like your salsa chunky, chop - tomatoes, peppers, garlic, jalapenos, and onions. 
  • Place in large pot. Add sugar, vinegar, tomato paste, and salt. 
  • Simmer for 2 hours, stirring often. 
  • Jar and process... then enjoy!
Jenn working hard.
The finished product.
Little Miss L. couldn't wait to get her hands on a jar of salsa.
Mommy, can we please eat it now?!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment