Friday, October 14, 2011

apple cider served in a hollowed apple - my favourite fall drink

I love love love the fall for many reasons but one of my favourite things to look forward to this time of year is fresh apple cider straight from the apple orchard. As you may remember from this post, our family went to the orchard a few weeks back. Before we left, my top priority was to purchase a jug of apple cider. I love love love warming apple cider on the stove and then sipping a mug of it on a crisp fall day. The aroma of apples and cinnamon running through our home can brighten any grey day. This fall, one of my favourite things to do with Little Miss L. is to warm up the good stuff and serve it in a hollowed apple. Little Miss L. thinks it is the coolest thing to drink something out of an apple instead of a cup and after all of the apple cider is gone, the fun part begins -eating the rest of the apple.

This is how I like to spice up my cider. Give it a try, I know you won't be disappointed.

Hot apple cider with cinnamon and cloves

  • 6 cups of fresh apple cider
  • 2 cinnamon sticks (you can find at your local health food or bulk foods store)
  • 6 whole cloves (also found at health or bulk foods store)
  • Pour cider into a sauce pan.
  • Place cinnamon sticks and cloves into a cheesecloth and tie with kitchen string
  • Place spice bundle into cider on medium heat for 10 minutes or until cider is very hot but not boiling
  • Remove spice bundle and serve cider. My favourite is to serve cider in a cored apple with a cinnamon stick
Little Miss L. couldn't wait to get her hands on it.


Let's be careful not to spill.
Look how proper she is.
Dig into that apple my girl.

No comments:

Post a Comment