Tuesday, January 24, 2012

weekend catch-up

This past weekend snuck up on me leaving me with a million and one things I wanted to get accomplished. Boy, was I in for a surprise - our household was hit hard with the cold virus. Both kiddies were extremely congested - my heart broke when I heard that horrible cough come from deep down in their chest. All the activities were put on hold, as we cuddled on the couch for most of Saturday. Good thing we did because I could hardly function - there was no way you would have caught me doing anything else. We did gather enough energy as a family to hit up the kitchen to make some homemade pasta sauce. This momma made sure it was chock-full of veggies...we needed to nip this cold in the bud. I was hoping we would hit the sack early, but instead we were up all night long!

Sunday morning came, and the kiddies were feeling a bit better. My grandma had been in the hospital for the past week, and finally was able to get out and come home. Knowing the kids were feeling better, we definitely wanted to go visit my grandma for the afternoon. We packed ourselves in the car and headed to my parents' house where we spent a fun-filled day with my parents and grandmother. The kids love spending time with their great-grandma. Baby D had lots of smiles to give, and Little Miss L. loved telling her several stories, reading her lots of books, and showing off her colouring skills. We ended the day with a fabulous meal prepared by my parents. Even though we were all fighting a cold, I enjoyed all the family time and snuggles I received.
Our little man is getting so big. Wow, I can't believe you are 5 months.
The more colour, the better, I say.
The sauce turned out great - yes, I know I am tooting my own horn but... I did blend it before serving so I wouldn't have to deal with a picky eater. I love love love that she ate every last bite of it knowing she was getting a handful of fresh veggies and herbs.
The finished product. Let's not forget the fresh parmigiana cheese - yum, my fave.
Great-grandma listening very patiently to Little Miss L.'s stories. I am so happy to have my grandma back home!
Little Miss L. showing off her colouring skills to her great-grandma.
Mom, look how strong I am becoming. I can hold my head up for more than a minute now.
Someone is showing off how flexible he can be. I love love love those little rolls.
Little Miss L. went fishing. She was super excited to finally hook the fish.
Even when the weather is cold, my dad still loves to use the barbecue. Hey, I am not going to complain, it was a great meal!

3 comments:

  1. Hope everyone is feeling better! Your pasta sauce looks fantastic- recipe? Great read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We are all still fighting this darn cold! As for the sauce- anything goes! I sauté whatever veggies I have on hand (onions, peppers, celery, carrots, garlic) until they are tender, add fresh or canned tomatoes, add fresh herbs( I use a ton)-parsley, basil, oregano, thyme, dash of salt & pepper, and simmer for a few hours. I like to use the hand blender at the end :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those kiddos are just too cute!!!

    ReplyDelete