Friday, March 16, 2012

let's talk contractions

After yesterday's post, I received several - and I mean several - messages asking me what my contractions felt like. I was a little surprised by this question, but the more I thought about it, the more I remembered searching the web for this answer the first time I was pregnant. I remember being pregnant and afraid of the unknown, I wanted to know exactly what I was going to be in for. The more I searched the net, the more anxiety I had. It seemed to me there was no 'one' answer to this question... each individual had a different experience.

If I had to describe what my contractions felt like, I would best describe it as my tummy would tighten in the lower area, get hard, and the tightening would work it's way up to my uterus. I would experience period-like cramping (but for me a thousand times worse.) When I first started having contractions, they were only in my stomach area and bearable but once they progressed, they became more intense and I could feel them in my lower back. These are extremely uncomfortable. At times, it felt like someone had punched me in the stomach and knocked the wind out of me. The stronger they got the more it felt like I had to make a bowel movement. After experiencing a few contractions, I was then able to to recognize when a contraction was about to start and when it would end. Once my contractions started, I was unable to lie down or sit. The only way I was able to get through the pain was to walk, and once a contraction started I would sway back-and-forth while breathing. I also found holding my tummy tight when the contraction started helped with the pain.

Well, there you have it folks... you asked and you received. Anyone else have the same experience as I did? Ladies, please share your experiences as I know there are lots of moms-to-be out there hoping to get some insight before their big day approaches.

No comments:

Post a Comment