Thursday, August 23, 2012

nautical themed birthday party

This past weekend, we celebrated Baby D's first birthday. I love working with a theme when planning a party. I thought long and hard which theme would suit my soon-to-be one-year-old. After contemplating for awhile, I decided a nautical theme would suit our little man perfectly. He loves the water, beach, and sailboats!

Here's how we sailed through Baby D's birthday party...
I captured a few photos of our handsome man when we were in Cape Cod and used them throughout the party. We welcomed our guests with a picture of Baby D in this frame.
We also had a table where we displayed some of our favourite shots from the beach.
My beach bums.
We used the mantel to display a large picture of our handsome man enjoying his time on the beach.  Old glass bottles, wine corks, a few nic-nac's, and hand-made garland finished off the look.
I used fabric I found on sale, cut it into triangles, and then hot glued  it to red ribbon. 

I love the look of old high chairs. They have so much character. We took an old, wooden high chair and painted it this awesome blue colour for Baby D's birthday chair. 
I wrapped twine around the cutlery for this look.
I found two of these wire trees and knew they would work perfect on our food table.
The cake table was the best spot to put this cute picture.
Every cake table needs a little candy. The Swedish fish were a big hit.
Cake table.
Seaweed anyone?
Yum, cupcakes!
It was love at first sight when I found these cupcake wrappers and toppers.
Smash cake!
Red, white, and blue! Thanks to my awesome baker friend Jenn for making Baby D his first birthday cake. It was as good as it looked folks.
Cake.
This little guy hangs in Baby D's room and gave me some inspiration.
Instead of goodie bags, we let Little Miss L. pick out one surprise for each child. Each was wrapped in red paper and tied with blue ribbon. 
We had pictures of Baby D printed with "thank you" for each of our guests to take home.

2 comments:

  1. Let me just say WOW - I found your site because we are planning a nautical themed birthday for my son and I love seeing everyone's awesome ideas. The seaweed!!!!!!! What is that?? (email me? hannah at the cheapskate mom dot com) It's so original! And I love that you gave out beach-y photos for the guests to take. Brilliant work. Thank you for the inspiration!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I loved planning this party for my son :) And now I am using many of the props to complete his bedroom. I found blue/greenish licorice and sour strings at our local grocery store for the seaweed. I love your site, so many great ideas..keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete